Change Membership Status
I. STATUS CHANGE TO ACTIVE:
To change your status back to Active, you will need to pay Active dues and court fees for the current fiscal year (June 1 ~ May 31) minus any dues and fees already paid within that fiscal year. Please contact the Member Records Coordinator at 603-224-6942 for total amount due and further instructions.
II. STATUS CHANGE TO INACTIVE, INACTIVE RETIRED OR MILITARY INACTIVE:
A. Status Change To INACTIVE:
- Read the Article II, Section 3 excerpt from the Constitution and Article II, Section 6 from the By-Laws of the New Hampshire Bar Association; they fully explain the distinctions between an ACTIVE member and an INACTIVE member of the Association.
- Read the NHBA Ethics Committee Formal Opinion #1988-9/2.
- Complete the Inactive Status Request Form (below) to reflect your specific request.
Any member in good standing, not engaged in the practice of law in NH, not designated as "of Counsel” in NH, or in a position the duties of which require the giving of legal advice or service in NH are eligible for Inactive status.
B. Status Change To INACTIVE RETIRED:
Any member in good standing who is fully retired from the practice of law in all jurisdictions is eligible.
C. Status Change To MILITARY INACTIVE:
Any member in good standing who is on active duty in the Armed Forces is eligible. Dues and court fees are waived for the duration of your active duty service.
Limitations While On INACTIVE, INACTIVE RETIRED or MILITARY INACTIVE Status:
Members on ANY of the INACTIVE statuses listed above CANNOT:
- Practice law in the state of NH.
- Be designated as "of Counsel" in the state of NH.
- Vote in Association affairs, or hold an office.
Members on ANY of the INACTIVE statuses listed above:
III. STATUS CHANGE TO RESIGNED
- Can be a member of an Association section provided the $40.00 sign-up fee is paid.
- Will continue to receive the NH Bar News.
- Can be reinstated to Active status by paying the Active dues and Court fees for the current fiscal year (June 1-May 31) minus any dues & fees already paid in that fiscal year. Please contact the Member Records Coordinator at 603-224-6942 for total amount due, if any.
We suggest that you consider an Inactive, or Inactive Retired membership status rather than resignation. If you decide that resignation is the choice you want to make, please read Article II, Section 8. You must be in good standing (all dues & fees paid; CLE invoices paid; MCLE credits up to date; and nothing pending at the Attorney Discipline Office) to be eligible.
If you want or need to practice in the state of New Hampshire after you have resigned, the requirements for readmission are found in Supreme Court Rule 37(15).
Return completed form(s) to:
Membership Records Coordinator
NH Bar Association
2 Pillsbury Street
Concord, NH 03301
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION