File Closing Procedures
File Closing Letter
- Complete original documents concluding matter (release executed, dismissal entry filed, etc.)
- Return original documents and papers to the client.
Note to Attorney: You may not charge the client for copying any documents you wish to retain for your files.
- Copy useful forms for office form file. Do not charge client for copies of file.
- Remove duplicates and "clean out" file for storage.
- Send closing letter to client.
- Prepare and send final bill to client. Be sure to check on all court costs and other expenses.
- Calendar future docket dates such as Uniform Commercial Code and judgment renewals.
- Send client survey to client.
- Enter case into closed file database for future conflicts checks.
- Assign date for review/destruction of file. Ask client if he/she prefers to have the file returned or destroyed after the assigned date.