New Hampshire Bar Association
About the Bar
For Members
For the Public
Legal Links
Online Store
Vendor Directory
NH Bar Foundation
Judicial Branch

Choose NHBA•CLE...Our Success is Your Success.

NH Bar's Litigation Guidelines
New Hampshire Bar Association
Lawyer Referral Service Law Related Education NHBA CLE NHBA Insurance Agency

Member Login
username and password

Attorney Misconduct
Information on options available for lodging a complaint against an attorney in NH
♦ The Attorney Discipline Office (ADO) of the Supreme Court is the agency that has discipline authority over attorneys and investigates complaints involving the ethical conduct of an attorney. 

♦  The New Hampshire Bar Association (NHBA) does not have attorneys on staff to review legal issues, answer legal questions or render legal opinions.

♦ The New Hampshire Bar Association has no authority to investigate complaints or to discipline attorneys in New Hampshire.
Other information
♦  If you would like a referral to another attorney in NH to review your matter, please contact the Lawyer Referral Service of the NH Bar Association at 603-229-0002 or 603-224-6942.

♦  Information about the NHBA's Dispute Resolution Committee, which can offer assistance when a dispute between an attorney and client does not rise to the level of an ethical violation.

♦  Information about filing complaints against a Public Defender, Guardian ad litem, judge, or court staff.
File a Misconduct Complaint
Complaints must include the following information:

♦  the complaint, called a grievance, must be in writing
♦  the conduct must have occurred within the past two years
♦  the grievance must be filed by someone with standing. This means the person complaining must be directly affected by the conduct or present when the conduct occurs.
♦  grievance must include concise facts, that if true would establish a violation of the N.H. Supreme Court Rules of Professional Conduct.
♦  each grievance has to be sworn, before a Notary or Justice of the Peace, above the signature of the person filing the grievance, stating: "I hereby swear or affirm under the pains and penalties of perjury that the information contained in this grievance is true to the best of my knowledge."

Grievances should be addressed to:

New Hampshire Supreme Court
NH Attorney Discipline System
Attorney Discipline Office
4 Chenell Drive, Suite 102
Concord, NH 03301

Supreme Court Rule 42(9) requires all NH admitted attorneys to notify the Bar Association of any address change, home or office.

Home | About the Bar | For Members | For the Public | Legal Links | Publications | Online Store
Lawyer Referral Service | Law-Related Education | NHBA•CLE | NHBA Insurance Agency | NHMCLE
Search | Calendar

New Hampshire Bar Association
2 Pillsbury Street, Suite 300, Concord NH 03301
phone: (603) 224-6942 fax: (603) 224-2910
© NH Bar Association Disclaimer