Bar News - March 9, 2007
Hiring Firm Identifies Hot Legal Positions for 2007
Increased demand for legal services is fueling steady hiring activity in the legal industry, according to the 2007 Salary Guide from Robert Half Legal, a leading staffing service specializing in positions in the legal field.
“Legal professionals with backgrounds in compliance and regulatory issues, litigation, intellectual property and real estate are particularly well positioned to take advantage of the current job market,” said Charles Volkert, Robert Half Legal executive director.
Following are five of the most in-demand positions identified by Robert Half Legal in its 2007 Salary Guide:
- Licensed attorneys (5+ years of experience): Candidates with experience in high-growth practice areas such as corporate transactional law or commercial litigation.
- Corporate attorneys: In-house counsel knowledgeable about regulatory and compliance mandates.
- First-year associates: Competition for recent graduates has intensified at large and midsize law firms as they tap an ever-shrinking pool of candidates to bulk up staff in response to increasing caseloads.
- Paralegals (3+ years of experience): At midsize and large law firms, as attorneys focus on enhancing revenue and improving client service, paralegals are being called upon to assume tasks such as preparing for trial, conducting in-depth research, and interviewing witnesses and experts for court appearances.
- Legal secretaries: The need for experienced support staff will remain acute as a growing number of professionals retire from the profession and fewer students apply to legal secretarial programs.
The Salary Guide includes an overview of the current hiring environment and national average starting salary ranges for positions in the legal field. A complimentary copy of the Guide is available by calling 800-870-8367.