Bar News - February 22, 2008
Hot Legal Jobs for 2008
According to Robert Half Legal, a leading staffing service, law firms are snapping up legal professionals with special areas of expertise. In striving to attract new business and meet corporate governance requirements, firms are looking for people skilled in “Intellectual property, litigation, corporate and security, and bankruptcy law,” said Charles Volkert, executive director of Robert Half Legal. “Many employers, particularly those at large and midsize law firms, are offering higher salaries to job candidates who possess the most sought-after practice area expertise, certifications and technical skills.”
The following is a list of five in-demand positions for 2008:
- First-year associates – Competition has intensified for graduates from the nation’s leading law schools. Job candidates who have finished in the top 20 percent of their class or possess experience within a specific practice area are highly sought.
- Patent attorneys – The demand is robust for attorneys with trial expertise at law firms specializing in intellectual property or information technology, biotechnology and healthcare.
- In-house attorneys – To meet ongoing corporate governance requirements, companies are seeking experienced attorneys with regulatory compliance, corporate and security law, and commercial litigation backgrounds.
- Litigation paralegals – The hiring of paralegals is expected to remain steady as law offices build teams to handle rising caseloads. Litigation paralegals are sought to help manage an increasingly high volume of lawsuits.
- Intellectual property legal secretaries – The shortage of experienced support staff remains acute. Legal secretaries with trademark or patent experience, including patent prosecution, are in strong demand.
The Robert Half Legal 2008 Salary Guide is based on an analysis of the thousands of job orders and placements managed nationwide by its account executives. Order a free copy of the Robert Half Legal 2008 Salary Guide by visiting http://www.roberthalflegal.com/ or by calling 1-800-870-8367.