Bar News - September 18, 2009
Seven Simple Steps to Keep Business Coming In
Here are seven tips from Julie A. Fleming, an Atlanta-based lawyer turned career development coach and consultant. Find her blog at Life at the Bar.
Fleming recently presented at a complimentary CLE program sponsored by the ABA Section of Science and Technology Law at the ABA Annual Meeting in Chicago last August.
By following these seven simple steps, Fleming promises, "youíll be able to build successful, satisfying and sustainable practices."
- Donít dwell on bad economic news to the extent that you worry about problems that may not occur and miss opportunities right in front of you.
- Be ruthless with time, not only with client matters but with career goals and professional development.
- Listen carefully, not only to what others are saying, but to their tone of voice, speech patterns, choice of words and body language.
- Network in the "right" way with the "right" people, and then follow up.
- Be innovative about what you have to offer.
- Educate yourself on the basics of business for yourself and for clients.
- Build strong connections with other similarly situated lawyers.