Bar News - March 19, 2010
In Memoriam: Charles Sullivan
Charles B. Sullivan, co-founder of the Wilton firm Cheever & Sullivan, died recently at the age of 88.
During World War II, Sullivan worked with the office of Admiral Rickover, where he served as a civilian translator of Japanese communications.
Sullivan attended Wesleyan University before transferring to Yale University, graduating in 1943. He later attended Yale University School of Law.
Upon his graduation from law school, Sullivan moved to Wilton, New Hampshire to open a law practice with Judge Harold Cheever.
Active in business and politics, Sullivan served on the boards of Wilton National Bank, Indian Head National Bank of Nashua and Fleet Bank. He also served as the chairman of the NH State Republican party.
A supporter of education, he was a benefactor of both the Wilton Public School and the Gregg Free Library, helped the Pine Hill Waldorf School establish its first location in Wilton, and established scholarship at Wesleyan University in memory of his son, Luther Gregg Sullivan.
He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Jean; sons, David, C. Wilson, and Peter Sullivan; five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
In memory of our colleague Charles B. Sullivan, the New Hampshire Bar Association Board of Governors has made a contribution to the New Hampshire Bar Foundation, 2 Pillsbury Street, Suite 300, Concord, NH 03301.