Bar News - November 19, 2010
In Memoriam: Lawrence H. Miller
Lawrence Harris Miller, died recently at St. Vincent de Paulís Nursing Home in Berlin. He was 86.
Born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, he joined the US Army Air Corps in 1946 following his high school graduation. During his military service, Miller served as a member of the flight crew for the 315th Bomb Wing.
Miller attended Syracuse University and Boston University Law School. In 1952 he graduated from the Staff Judge Advocate School at Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama, where he served as Staff Judge Advocate for the 89th Fighter-Bomber Wing and the 94th Military Airlift Wing L.G.
After his service, Miller practiced law in Cambridge and Boston and worked as a lobbyist for gun manufacturers and various banking, public safety, and conservation groups. Upon his retirement he and his family moved to Errol, NH.
He is survived by his wife, Sharon Hartwell Miller; two stepchildren; three step-grandchildren; and one brother, Alfred. Miller will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
In honor of our colleague Lawrence H. Miller, the NHBA Board of Governors has made a donation to the NH Bar Foundation, 2 Pillsbury Street, Suite 300, Concord, NH 03301.
Due to an oversight by the editors, the In Memoriam article regarding Lawrence H. Miller in the Nov. 19, 2010, issue of Bar News omitted some key information.
Miller, who died at St. Vincent de Paulís Nursing Home in Berlin on Oct. 14, 2010 at the age of 86, will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery on Jan. 24, 2011. His military service included a long career as a judge advocate general in the Air Force Reserve. After graduation from Boston University Law School, he attended Staff Judge Advocate School and served as a Judge Advocate General with several reserve units. He was recalled to active duty in 1962 during the Cuban Missile Crisis and again during the Vietnam War era, he served in the military full-time as the first Special Assistant to the Judge Advocate General of the Air Force for reserve affairs, stationed in Washington, DC. He retired from the military as a full colonel.
After his retirement from the private practice of law in Washington, DC, he retired to Errol, NH. He served for approximately nine years as a judge for the Colebrook District Court until 1994 when he reached the mandatory retirement age. He also served the state as chair for the NH State Employee Appeals Board for one-and- a-half years.
In 2002, he was recognized by the Bar for 50 years in the practice of law.