Bar News - February 17, 2012
Bar Foundation: News About the Foundation...
Richard Uchida – 2012 Honorary Fellow
Richard Uchida, a long-time NH Bar Foundation board member and past NHBA President, has been named an Honorary Foundation Fellow. He will be honored at the NHBF Fellows & Donors Reception following the 2012 Midyear Meeting at the Center of NH/Radisson Hotel in Manchester on March 7.
Uchida, former NH Bar Foundation treasurer, recently was named co-chair of the NH Supreme Court Access to Justice Commission. He also serves on the NH Judicial Council as well as numerous nonprofit and educational groups.
The reception will also include recognition of the organizations receiving Justice Grants for 2012, and the IOLTA Leadership Banks.
2012 Justice Grants
The NH Bar Foundation Board of Directors has approved Justice Grants totaling $59,016 to nine programs. The grants, made possible through the Foundation’s endowment, were awarded to:
- Bridges: Domestic & Sexual Violence Support Services AmeriCorps Advocate;
- Disabilities Rights Center Children’s Advocacy Project;
- Girls Inc. of NH "She Votes";
- NH Bar Association Civics in Action;
- Justice William A. Grimes Award for Judicial Professionalism;
- NHBA CLE DVD, "Avoiding the Problems & Pitfalls of Lawyers’ Trust Accounting";
- NH Catholic Charities Office of Immigration and Refugee Services;
- NH Legal Assistance Online Intake Improvement Initiative;
- NH Pro Bono Program Attorney Webinars;
- NH Pro Bono Program Non-violent Criminal Annulment Project;
- RESPONSE to Sexual & Domestic Violence Protective Order Process Educational Materials;
- UNH School of Law/Social Justice Institute Public Interest Coalition Summer Fellowship.
Save the Date: May 8
The Bar Foundation’s annual event, this year celebrating the 30th anniversary of IOLTA in New Hampshire, is scheduled for May 8 at the Grappone Center in Concord. The event will feature the presentation of the Frank Rowe Kenison award and the Robert E. Kirby award, and provides a special opportunity for updates on the achievements and challenges of the NH Bar Foundation. More information will be announced soon.