Bar News - November 18, 2015
Court News: 5 Judicial Nominees Confirmed
Five of the six nominees Governor Maggie Hassan put forth for judicial positions last month were confirmed at a meeting of the Governor and Executive Council on Nov. 4.
In a 2-3 vote, the executive council voted not to confirm the nomination of Dorothy Graham, currently the managing attorney at the Manchester office of the NH Public Defender, to serve as a NH Superior Court judge.
Executive Councilor Christopher Sununu argued that Graham did not have enough experience in civil cases and voted, along with Councilors Joseph Kenney and David Wheeler, not to confirm the nomination. “I usually do like to see someone with a prosecutorial background,” Sununu said. The councilors noted that no negative information relative to Graham’s nomination had been submitted and that she performed well at the public hearing. Reached by telephone, Graham said she was “honored and definitely humbled” to have been nominated by the Judicial Selection Commission and the governor.
Mark Howard of Durham, a partner at Howard and Ruoff, was confirmed to the Superior Court. Judge Susan Ashley of Strafford, who was working per diem as Circuit Court judge, was confirmed to the court full-time. Michael Garner of Sanbornton, a marital master, was confirmed to serve on the Circuit Court. Kimberly Chabot of Henniker, a Hooksett police prosecutor, and Barbara Maloney of Manchester, who practices mental health law, were confirmed to serve as per diem Circuit Court judges.