Bar News - June 18, 2014
Apply This Year for the NHBA Leadership Academy
Asked to provide some of the top reasons to apply for NHBA Leadership Academy, some attorneys who have been involved gave us some to consider.
Jennifer Parent, past president of the NHBA who spurred the launch of the Leadership Academy, offers some thoughts on the program.
Participating in the Bar Association’s Leadership Academy:
- Enhances your personal development, builds leadership skills through an interactive format (ie: how to interact with the media, public speaking, how to run a meeting, how to handle conflict on a board, time management);
- Offers a chance to network with other lawyers, members of the judiciary and legislature, and business leaders;
- Encourages self-awareness of your personal leadership style, your strengths and weaknesses, and how these impact an organization;
- Provides the keys to furthering your career whether it be in public, private, or in-house settings.
- Is fun.
Top 5 Reasons to ENCOURAGE A COLLEAGUE to Apply!
- Participation develops skills needed to effectively lead and inspire attorneys and staff in any law office.
- Fosters a positive reputation for the lawyer within the legal and business communities, and this reflects well on the firm or office and can serve as a marketing tool.
- Provides new leaders for the future of the profession and for our local and state communities.
- By extension, allows your law firm or office an opportunity to network with other leaders, including members of the judiciary, the legislature, and the business community.
- Helps identify trends shaping the law, including areas of practice, ways in which law is practiced and how consumers of legal services will engage the profession, which adds value to any office/firm.
Christine Smith, Class of 2011, is a member of the Leadership Academy Steering Committee. With experience and an advanced degree in nursing, she operates her own practice in Manchester focusing on personal injury. Here are her top reasons why you should apply for Leadership Academy:
- It’s inspiring.
- Teaches you leadership skills that will help lead you to the next level.
- Helps you learn how to build a team.
- You’ll meet and work with the future leaders of the profession.
- Gets you out of your comfort zone so you’ll experience the bigger picture.
Seth Hipple, Class of 2013, is founder of the firm Martin & Hipple in Concord. He says:
- You will have one-on-one time with some of the smartest and most accomplished professionals in the state, including judges.
- You’ll gain an in-depth understanding of all aspects of the NH legal system.
- You’ll form close and valuable friendships with other LA participants, all of whom are among the best in their fields.
- You’ll have a unique opportunity to improve your leadership and communication skills.
- You learn how to put a passion for public service into practice.
Accepted until July 18, 2014
Notification: Aug. 29, 2014
Kickoff Evening Reception
Thursday, Oct. 9
Friday, Oct. 17 (all day) &
Saturday, Oct. 18 (half-day)
Modules are usually one afternoon class each month plus “homework” starting Nov. 13, plus the Midyear Meeting and Annual Meeting. (attendance at these meetings is included in Academy tuition.)
Tuition fee: $750
(Limited financial assistance is available.)
Visit www.nhbar.org and read the complete schedule in the application. Questions? Contact Valenda Morrissette.