A Lawyer & Judge in Every School – May 5, 2023
This event pairs attorneys and judges with classrooms throughout the state to discuss concepts of law, rights and responsibilities of citizenship, and additional legal issues consistent with student interest and the course curriculum. For Law Day 2023, the NHBA LRE program encourages attorney presenters to bring one of the following topics, or a topic of your choice, to classrooms across the state.
Cornerstones of Democracy
Civics | Civility | Collaboration
The 2023 Law Day theme is “Cornerstones of Democracy: Civics, Civility, and Collaboration.” We invite all the people of the United States to join us in rebuilding trust in our institutions, respect for one another, and our willingness to collaborate to address the challenges that face our nation.
In recent years, tensions in our democratic system have revealed deep divisions in American society. These divisions are aggravated by incivility in public discourse and insufficient understanding among many people about the Constitution and the way American government works. Together, however, we can collaborate to overcome our differences, resolve our disputes, and preserve our democracy and republic. To that end, we call on members of the legal profession to lead the way in promoting civics, civility, and collaboration—the cornerstones of our democracy.
The following materials are provided by Federal Judiciary Civics Outreach Program
- Candid Conversations – Program Description
- Candid Conversations – Types of Questions
- Candid Conversations – Judge/Attorney Program Description
- Candid Conversations – Teacher / Student Prep
- Candid Conversations – Student Feedback
- Reality Check Quiz – Blank Question Sheet
- Reality Check Quiz – Answers
- Facebook Posts: Harmless Sarcasm or a Serious Threat?
- From Fireworks to Forest Fire
- The Cost of Fake IDs: Are You Willing to Pay With Your Future?
- When a Student Teacher Drinks and Drives
- When Players Gotta Pay
Middle & High School Lesson Plans
- Take a Stand. Lend a Hand. Stop Bullying!
- Negotiation for Middle School Students
- Just the Facts – What are the steps in a trial?
- What is a Felony?
- Search and Seizure
- What is Truth?
- The Three Branches of Government
- What is a Trial? (Grades 5-8 – See Slide Show)
- What does the 4th Amendment Mean to You? (Grades 5-8 – See Slide Show)
- The Cost of Credit